26169323_1504914862897142_1641818854108646769_n - Copy - Copy.jpg

Ormond's History

Ormond Plantation has survived into the early 21st Century with its unique character and sometimes tragic history. In the early 1780's, Pierre D'Trepagnier was awarded a tract of land by the Spanish Governor Don Bernanrdo deGalvez. The Main building was completed shortly before 1790, the plantation home to indigo and then to sugar cane. The house is built in the "Louisiana Colonial" style for plantations, which is modeled after the great sugar plantations of the West Indies. The two wings or garconnieres which give Ormond it's distinctive look, are taller than the main building and of a design possibly from an Atlantic Seaboard influence. The home was often the scene for entertaining officials of the Louisiana and Spanish Governments.

In 1805, Colonel Richard Butler bought the plantation home from Mrs. D'Trepagnier. Butler had served in the U.S. Army and had fallen in love with the South. He named his new home "Ormond," after his ancestral home, the Castle Ormonde in Ireland.

Like many other plantations of the South, Ormond fell on hard times following the War Between the States. It changed hands twice before being sold at public auction in 1874, and again in 1875. Ormond was bought on December 1, 1898, by State Senator Basile LaPlace, Jr., son of the famous New Orleans pharmacist and land owner after whom the town of LaPlace is named. LaPlace met with an ugly death. Ormond then passed from LaPlace's widow to his mother and then to the Schexnayder family, all during the year 1900.The Schexnayders held the property until 1926 when they turned it over to the Inter-Credit Corporation. The story of Ormond becomes hazy in the late 1920's and through the 30's. It seems that a number of tenants occupied the house and land. Reports tell of the crumbling walls and ceilings, the sagging porch, and the general deterioration of the house. Fortunately for us, it was not too late to salvage Ormond. Thanks to its great original construction, it was able to be restored and renovated by Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Brown, owners of the Brown's Velvet Dairy in New Orleans. The Browns' family added modern conveniences, such as indoor plumbing, gas and electricity.

Ormond is presently under the ownership and care of the Carmouche family who continues the work of restoring Ormond today. Ormond is open to the public for tours, weddings, lunch, dinnermeetings, and various other private events year-round, as well as a quiet bed and breakfast stay.